London England was transformed during the 1800’s to become the worlds largest city
It is one of the many locations where members of the Underwood family have lived, and at least ten children on the Underwood Family tree were born at Pancras, London. Others were married, worked, or died in the city.
Underwood Florist Families in London
John married Ann Bourne at St Pancras, London in 1875, and his older brother, George, married Ann’s sister Mary at St Pancras in 1877. Orlando married Emma Jane Lusty from Dursly, Gloucestershire, but he was also living in St Pancras at the time of his marriage.
By the time of the 1891 UK Census all three brothers were working as florists.
At the time of the 1881, 1891, 1901, and 1911 UK Census, George and Mary were living at 52 High Street, St Pancras where they worked as florists.
At the time of the 1881, 1891, 1901 UK Census, John and Ann were living at 346 Holloway Road, Islington where John Underwood was working as a florist.
At the time of the 1881 UK Census, Orlando was living at 18 Camden Road, St Pancras, London but by the 1991 UK Census he was working as a florist and had moved to 54 High Street, St Pancras, next door to his brother George.
The three brothers had ten children between them, and all the children were born in London
St Pancras a parish, in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, a suburb to London; containing 129,763 inhabitants. This parish exhibits, in an extraordinary degree, the vast increase which, within the last half century, and particularly during the last twenty years, has taken place in the districts bordering upon the metropolis. In the year 1765, it was a remote and isolated spot, consisting of a few scattered dwellings, and containing only 60 inhabitants; and its ancient church of diminutive size, suited to the smallness of the population, formed a romantic feature in the landscape. Since that period, however, large tracts of meadow land have been covered with buildings, and it is now one of the most populous parishes in the vicinity of London, comprising KentishTown, Camden-Town, Somers-Town, and part of Highgate. The streets are well paved, and lighted with gas, and the inhabitants are supplied with water by the West Middlesex and New-River Companies, the latter of which has a reservoir in the Hampstead-road.
(Above description of St Pancras, London from A Topographical Dictionary of England, ed. Samuel Lewis (London, 1848), pp. 531-535).